-
December 11th, 2002, 06:04 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Hi everyone. This is my first posting to this board, and I'm definitely a newbie when it comes to movie film.
I'd like some guidance on choosing a regular 8mm projector, and a Super 8mm sound projector. There are a bewildering array of projectors for sale on Ebay and on a number of 8mm/Super8 websites, but I haven't been able to find any detailed comparison data on specific models, pros and cons of various features, brands, models, lenses, light output, film handling properties (film stress, wear and tear), etc.
Here's the situation. I found a bunch of my folk's old family home movies that haven't been viewed in many years. It's all regular 8mm Kodachrome. I've also recently bought a super 8mm camera and started making new films of my own. It's a lot of fun, and I'm having a blast. I'd like to be able to project all of these films, both old and new.
So far, I've been told things like Eumig or Bolex are the best for regular 8mm, and Eumig or Elmo for Super 8 sound. But there are so many models to choose from!!!
What projectors (make and model) of each type, regular 8mm and Super 8 sound, would the more experienced among you recommend, and why? Which would you avoid? What features are desirable? Which makes and models have the best lenses, and which projectors produce the best image? etc?
I'm sure I could just buy any projector that is in good condition, and be relatively satisfied, but I'd really like to the best projectors the first time around.
Thanks in advance.
[img]eek.gif[/img] [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]confused.gif[/img]
-
December 11th, 2002, 06:47 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Elmo GS 1200 for super8.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1944706644
Top of the Elmo super 8 line. Optic and magnetic sound. I think it also has provisions for dual system sound.
This one will probably go for a lot more than the current bid.
-
December 12th, 2002, 04:21 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Projectors that have a swing out lens mount make it MUCH easier to clean the film gate
Manual load projectors are likewise MUCH easier to clean and less likely to eat up your movie film. Auto load projectors eat film and are difficult to clean.
Variable speed is nice to have for film transfer use.
A zoom lens, or 2-3 different lenses are nice to have.
A projector that takes different bulbs is nice as up close it may be too bright and far away may be too dim or the reverse may be true.
My web site has many 8 and 16mm projectors listed with notes you can look over.
http://www.16mmoviemaking.com/store.htm
Michael
-
December 12th, 2002, 01:20 PM
#4
Inactive Member
There is no more magnetic sound striped raw Super 8mm film to record on anymore. No more 16mm film is made that way either.
Finished film with pictures may, however, be sound striped; usually this is done with Super 8mm but also could be done on Regular 8mm or 16mm.
A picture of an optical sound track(s), variable area, on 16mm film may be seen on my web here: http://www.16mmoviemaking.com/studio.htm I am able to make them directly; labs may also put optical sound on your 16mm film for you from your tape recorder or whatever.
Optical sound projectors for 16mm film are common and readily available on the net at low prices, while magnetic sound ones are rare. Magnetic sound projectors for Super 8mm film are common and a little rare ($250 and up), while optical ones are impossible to ever see. Magnetic sound on Regular 8mm film projectors are very rare also.
Tubes, fuses, and capacitors may need to be replaced on older projector sound amplifiers. No big deal. Look for an old radio repair shop. Guitar players do it all the time as they prefer analog amplifiers for the sound quality. I have had tape recorders and projector amplifiers restored at reasonable prices. Well worth the trouble.
-
December 12th, 2002, 04:08 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Thank you both for your responses.
I guess that magnetic sound refers to cassette or reel 1/4 inch tape recordings, right? But what is optical sound? What type of sound is recorded on Super 8mm sound film?
-
December 13th, 2002, 01:08 AM
#6
Inactive Member
If these are precious to you, transfer them first, just to be safe.
-
December 13th, 2002, 02:26 AM
#7
Inactive Member
hey,
I'd like to add something to this if you don't mind...
I just bought a Chinon 2500GL variable speed projector. Anyone have one of these?? I heard from numerous people that these were supposed to be great and that the vari-speed knob is excellent for adjusting the flicker rate (better than a str8 18/24 deal). but let me tell you...maybe it's just me, I got one in mint condition in the box with packaging, couldn't have been used much...everything in perfect shape; and the projector SUCKS!!!
why would such a prominant model projector that is reccommended to me suck so badly? I mean, it doesn't seem to have anything physically wrong with it except the rubber band belt running the blades connected to the motor/power switch is slipping and giving me a hard time turning the run function on (I can fix that though with some grease). But otherwise, the projector has bad power, the vari-speed function is mediochre; still see lots of flicker intermittantly...and it completely wrecked my old reg-8 film as it jittered through the gate. Nothing except prayer will make reg-8 work properly in this, and yes, it is a Dual-8. It seems to tear at the sprocket holes because it obviously never threads properly.
Can anyone here give some input on a "what-i-thought-would-be-great-turned-out-to-blow" Chinon 2500GL Projector??
~M
-
December 13th, 2002, 08:12 PM
#8
tfunch24
Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Colorburst300:
hey,
I'd like to add something to this if you don't mind...Can anyone here give some input on a "what-i-thought-would-be-great-turned-out-to-blow" Chinon 2500GL Projector??
~M</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just because it's "in the original packaging" and "never been used" does not mean it's going to work perfectly. Most projectors in the 1960s, '70s, and early '80s were not built to last a long time; unless they're willing to plunk down $800-$1200 for a professional quality S8 projector (and there are only a handful of them), most S8 shooters will go through quite a few projectors. Even if not in use, projectors (and most other electronic equipment) can decay and fall apart over time--mainly due to parts that have a short lifespan. Also, where was that Chinon stored? If it was stored somewhere were the temperature varied from Sahara hot to arctic cold, that, too, could speed up decay.
Sorry to hear about your projector. It's frustrating to find one that works. I've been involved in S8 filmmaking for a little over a year now and I've been through about six projectors (most of them thrift shop junk except for the last sound projector I bought that still works perfectly; of course that was manufactured in 1983...)
Tom
-
December 13th, 2002, 10:55 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Tom,
I figured out the issue if you are able (or anyone for that matter) to assist me. This Chinon is one of the newer models, probably around the early eighties. The mechaincs inside are very common and easy to understand. I really just need some grease on the blade shaft because the belt (rubber band) just slips it when you turn it on. I tapped on it from inside and it got it going, so it's just a lubrication issue. That takes care f issue number 1.
But my major concern is that the vari-speed know still produces noticable flicker even during normal projection. What pisses me off though is that on a "Dual-8" machine, my super-8 runs fine but it completely wrecks my regular 8 films! it never grabs a hold of it right, and every so often It has that magic moment and works, but I can't rely on that.
Luckily I only paid 50 bucks for it...I see these things on ebay all the time in the box "near mint" condition running near 200 bucks. At least I didn't break the bank on this one. I just might wanna take this projector outside and break it [img]smile.gif[/img]
My 4.00 bell&howell thrift shop projector works better than this thing!
~M
-
December 14th, 2002, 12:00 AM
#10
tfunch24
Guest
Hmm. I can't help you with the Regular 8mm issue, but I might be able to shed some light on the flicker issue.
Question: When you speak of flicker, are you attempting DIY video transfer? If so, keep in mind that variable speed projectors can remove MOST flicker but not all of it. The only way to completely eliminate flicker is to adjust the projection speed and modify the shutter blades. The latter is very difficult to do (it has to be done a certain way) and unless you're mechanically inclined, I would advise against modifying the shutter blade.
If you're not attempting video transfer, I'm not sure what the problem is. My guess would be that there is something wrong with either the speed regulator or the motor itself. Anyone else?
I wish I could have been more helpful. Good luck.
Tom
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks